Frequently Asked Questions

What are the timings for a school day?

Doors open to the school at 8:40 am.
Registers close at 8.55am.
The end of the school day is 3:15 pm.
Lunch time for Early Years is 11:50 – 1:00 pm.
Lunch time for the rest of the Year Groups is 12:00 to 1:00 pm.

What are the term dates for 2023-2024?

Term dates for 2023-2024 can be found HERE

Does Long Meadow School offer a Breakfast Club & After-School Club?

Yes. Rising Stars provide our before and after-school provision for all year groups.  Please see the Before & After School Club page for more information.

What should I do if my child is late for school?

Children arriving after registers are closed at 8.55am will be recorded as late. Parents of children that arrive persistently late will be the subject of Fixed Penalty Notices. If your child is late it is important that you go to the School Office to sign them in. This is essential for monitoring punctuality, fire safety and security.

What should I do if my child is unable to attend school?

Please look HERE for our School Absence Procedure.

Can I take my child out of school for holidays during term time?

No. The school provides attendance data to the Schools Attendance Officer who makes decisions on the issuing of Fixed Penalty Notices for children who are out of school for 5 or more days during term time. Absence during term time has a significant impact on pupil progress.

Where can I get school uniform from?

This can be ordered from our supplier Maisies, you can do this online by clicking HERE.   Review the School Uniform Policy by clicking HERE

Where can I find information on Emergency School Closures?

In the event of an emergency school closure, for example due to snow or heating failure, we will text parents. (If you are not receiving texts from us, please let us know.) Information on MK School Closures can be found HERE . Heart Radio (103.3) will also provide updates.

When does my child start school?

Children start school in the September following their fourth birthday. There is a staggered entry system to allow all children to settle.

How do I apply for a place at Long Meadow?

Please contact Milton Keynes Council Admissions (01908 253338) in the first instance for information about places at our school during the academic year.  If your child is starting school for the first time, you will need to complete an online application on the Milton Keynes Council website. Click  HERE for details.

What do I do if my child needs prescribed medication?

Parents can arrange to come into school to administer medication to their own child if necessary.  Only medicines prescribed by a doctor and clearly labelled for four times a day will be administered by the school.  Please bring the medicine to the school office and complete the appropriate paperwork.

Medicine that needs to be taken three times a day should be given to your child before and after school and at bedtime.

For children with asthma, severe allergies, etc., please talk to Mrs Press in Reception for advice and guidance.

How long after an illness can my child return to school?

Once they are feeling better. In the case of vomiting and diarrhoea your child should not have had these symptoms for at least 24 hours before they return to school.

How can I see my child’s teacher?

Teachers are normally available for brief enquiries after school (3:20 pm). If you need a longer appointment, please contact your child’s teacher or the office staff who will be happy to arrange this for you. There is also an opportunity to see your child’s teacher once a term at Parents’ Evening.

How are parents informed of school events?

A newsletter is sent to parents (usually by email – please ensure we have your details) weekly.  Curriculum Newsletters are also sent home to parents once a term. Parents are often sent texts to remind them of events taking place during the week.

How can I organise a ‘Hot School Meal’ for my child?

Hot school meals are provided by Chartwells.  Orders can be placed for a particular day, week or half term.  All orders are made via Parentpay and must be completed by midnight on the Tuesday two weeks prior to when they are required. Meals cost £2.85 per day.  There is an option of main meal, vegetarian meal, jacket potato meal, cheese or ham sandwich.

Is my child entitled to a ‘Free School Meal’ ?

All children in Early Years, Year 1 and Year 2 are entitled to a free school meal, regardless of status. This must be ordered in advance (see above).

Children in Years 3, 4, 5 and 6 may be entitled to a free school meal if their parents are in receipt of one of the these benefits :

  • Income Support
  • Employment & Support Allowance – Income related
  • Income Based Job Seekers Allowance (NOT Contribution Based JSA)
  • Child Tax Credit only (with a combined family income of less than £16,190 per annum as assessed by HM Revenues & Customs) Please note, anyone receiving Working Tax Credit, regardless of income, will NOT qualify for FSMs
  • Working Tax Credit run-on – paid 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
  • Universal Credit
  • National Asylum Seekers Support (NASS)
  • Guaranteed Element of Pension Tax Credit

Parents must apply online. You can register and find out if your child is eligible by clicking  HERE

The system is quick and simple to use and can be accessed via a smartphone or hand held device. If you qualify, please show the ‘Application Summary’ to the school office on your smartphone or print a copy.

Please register with the portal, even if you have applied and been unsuccessful in the past. By doing so they will have your contact details and can inform you straight away if your eligibility changes.

How can I volunteer to help at the school?

PALS (Parents & Friends at Long Meadow School) is a great way to help our school.  They meet once a term to arrange events and discuss ways in which to support the children at Long Meadow.  Everyone is welcome to come along to any of the meetings.  If you wish to find out more, please contact the school office.

Who do I contact regarding Special Educational Needs (SEND)?

The school employ a Special Needs Coordinator, Mrs Sanders (SENCo). If you need to contact her, please email or phone the school on 01908 508678

How can I find out more about the curriculum?

Please see the Curriculum and Parent Pages for the most up to date information on what your child is learning. Please contact us if you would like to know more about the curriculum –

How can I make a complaint about SEND provision?

Details on how to do this can be found in the SEN Policy

How can I get a paper copy of the information on this website?

Please contact the school office and this will be provided free of charge